May 24, 2006

Edmonton fans belt out the anthem

A great playoff hockey moment in Edmonton last night: half-way through the Canadian national anthem, Oilers anthem singer Paul Lorieau stopped singing, and let the fans take over. Edmonton fans responded by singing their hearts out in one of Canada's most patriotic displays of recent memory.

A few thoughts:
- Was Lorieau inspired by Canucks tenor Mark Donnelly, who's done the same thing in Vancouver?
- Pity any broadcaster who used the national anthem as a 90-second commercial opportunity. They would have missed out big time last night.
- Events like this one should put any suggestion of eliminating the national anthem to rest.

Update:
Here's a video of the Edmonton anthem from last night. (via Off Wing Opinion)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always been a proud Canadian, and tears come to my eyes at the best of times when I hear our anthem.

Nothing can describe what hearing that does to me! I am SO PROUD of our nation, and my city!

Let's do it again tonight, fans!